Answered By: Karina Forrest Last Updated: Dec 09, 2021 Views: 8
Members of professional and learned institutions in the North East, which accredit courses at Newcastle University, may join the Library.
Smartcards are valid for 1 year, most professional memberships can have borrowing facilities free of charge. Renewals are not automatic and a new application must be made each year.
How to join: Please apply in person at the Philip Robinson Library during desk services opening hours. You must bring the following with you:
- Proof of membership of your professional institution such as a valid membership card with expiry date or a letter from the secretary of the society or institute in which you are named.
- 1 form of photo ID (which must be different to your professional membership card). The following are all acceptable:
- Current signed passport
- Original birth certificate
- EEA member state identity card
- Current UK or EEA photocard driving licence
- 1 x proof of address
- Utility bill issued within the last three months
- Local authority council tax bill for the current council tax year
- Current UK driving licence (but only if not used for the name evidence)
- Bank or Building Society statement dated within the last three months
We can accept scans or photographs of documents shown on smartphones or other devices. Applications will be processed whilst you wait.
Community Affiliate and Consultation smartcards are for access to the University library during desk services opening hours, they do not open night doors on campus or give out of hours library access.