Answered By: Katie McInerney Last Updated: Jun 26, 2020 Views: 20
Visiting other local universities
Durham, Sunderland and Teesside
- Staff and students of Newcastle University have reference access at any time on production of a valid Smartcard.
- Reference use on production of a valid Smartcard, during their staffed hours only. Outside of staffed hours, access is only available to borrowing members of the SCONUL Access scheme.
Great North Museum: Hancock Library
- The Great North Museum: Hancock Library holdings can be searched via Library Search and it is open to the public. It contains the collections of the Natural History Society of Northumbria, the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, and the John Cowen library, which covers archaeology and ancient history. Newcastle University staff and students may borrow items from the Cowen collection, and items from the other collections are available for reference.
Using the SCONUL Access Scheme
- The SCONUL Access Scheme (Society of College, National and University Libraries) allows access and borrowing of books from participating universities for academic staff, postgraduates, registered part-time students, distance learning students, and students on placement for more than six weeks. Full time undergraduates have reference access.
- You can apply for membership and will be sent an approval notification email. Please print a copy to take to the library you wish to join, along with your library Smartcard or campus ID. Before visiting the library of your choice, check their opening hours. Please check that the Library you want to visit is a member of the scheme.
- Newcastle University staff and students have reference access to participating SCONUL libraries at weekends and during their vacations on production of a valid smartcard.
SCONUL Vacation Access Scheme
- Students from participating universities may have access to other higher education institutions in the UK and Ireland during those institutions’ vacations. Students wishing to visit other libraries under this scheme should carry their library Smartcard or campus ID as proof of eligibility.
- There are some exceptions, for example, Northumbria University Library is only available to Northumbria staff and students during their Easter vacation.
- Under this scheme, other university students have access to Newcastle University during Newcastle University vacations.
Visiting the British Library
Anyone requiring use of the British Library for their research can apply for a reader pass.
Searching local Library collections
Use the links below to search the collections of our local University and public libraries:
- Northumbria University
- Durham University
- University of Sunderland
- Newcastle City Libraries
- Gateshead Libraries
- Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society
You can also search the collections of other university and specialist libraries more widely:
- Library Hub Discover - allows you to search the collections of UK national, University and specialist libraries through a single interface
- WorldCat - allows you to search collections of Libraries around the world
Accessing the internet at other institutions
Eduroam allows staff and students to access internet services at participating institutions using your usual username and password.