Answered By: Jake Parkins
Last Updated: Apr 02, 2020     Views: 3

We are not specialists in teaching English as a Second Language or English for Academic Purposes. If you would like help with your academic English, and have a UELA score of less than 70 in your writing, you will be best supported by INTO’s In-Sessional English programme, which offers classes and individual consultations.

If you have near-native English writing skills (a UELA score of over 70 or exemption from the UELA), you are welcome to make an appointment with us provided you are registered Newcastle University student.

Please note: that as of 17th March 2020, the University has made the decision to limit face to face contact within the University and there will be no face-to-face teaching for the remainder of the academic year. This affects our one to one provision, so we have moved all our tutorials online using Zoom, so that we can continue to support you. If you are unable to access our tutorial provision via this platform, please contact us by emailing us at to discuss alternatives.

To request an online one-to-one tutorial with the Writing Development Centre, please visit the 'One-to-ones' webpage on the Writing Development Centre website. 

We may be able to comment on a limited range of fundamental grammar issues, but our main role is to help you understand the expectations, assumptions and conventions of study in UK university culture, which may be very different to your own. This might include understanding how teaching, learning and assessment differ (and how you need to adapt) or how academic UK English writing conventions are used to signal things like criticality, authorial voice or structure.